Friday, December 08, 2006

Lament for Betty Crocker

I have friends who love "slam poetry." I am not so fond of it. They told me I'd like it better if I ever tried to write it, and I decided to believe them. Here, then, is my first attempt. When you read it, you should read it loud and fast and emphasize every single word that seems like it might enjoying being emphasized--in other words, all the nouns, verbs, and adjectives. Verbs, however, should be read with particular aggression.

Middle America has swallowed the brownie mix powder,
anti-caking agents cake
on my windshield.
Boys like that always
burn the batter,
too busy badgering the world with their
jazzy-jazz doo-dah,
discord
and
fall.
The kitchen is a mess
and I am fresh out of oven cleaner
because the Cuban woman
who used to clean up
has run away and joined
a mambo beat
band.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love aggressive verbs...

9:20 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I prefer assertive but will go with aggressive in a pinch. I was in Central Park one day in NY with friends and there were free performances going on with some decent talent on display. A slam poetess took the stage and begain railing and I was mesmerized and a little frightened. My friends started to walk away rolling their eyes. I told them they'd probably enjoy it more if they'd paid $120 to see it.

I think I need to hear you BD, time for an audio aggresso post.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Saviour Onassis said...

Mine is burnt.

Like pudding, you're the bomb!

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home