Saturday, August 19, 2006

Bruce Almighty

I recently watched The Fifth Element, because Dale said he liked it and if there's anything I've learned from blogging, it's that if Dale recommends something, it's not complete crap. Also I really wanted to see the context in which this tentacle-y blue chick Dale posted a picture of stands on a stage and sings.

I liked this movie a lot.* In it, Bruce Willis must save the woman he loves and a whole lot of other people as well (in this particular case, the entire world) from some great, intelligent, profoundly powerful evil (in this particular case, a giant fireball that occasionally telephones Gary Oldman while he's got a soul patch and a Texas accent--as clear a sign of evil as I've ever seen). Saving everyone involves shooting lots of guns and blowing lots of things up, both of which Bruce is extremely good at. It also involves a black sidekick who observes events and also has to help Bruce save everyone a little, which, as you will remember, is also an element of Die Hard.

Speaking of Die Hard, what I really want to know is why no one told me that The Fifth Element is part of a trilogy. It comes after Die Hard and before Twelve Monkeys, which also involve Bruce having to save the woman he loves and a whole lot of other people as well from some great, intelligent, profoundly powerful evil (in one case he succeeds; in one case, he fails). You can tell the movies form a trilogy because in each one, Bruce plays the same character. OK, there's some weird time travel involved, but remember that Twelve Monkeys is about weird time travel. Trust me, if you think about the plots and about Hollywood, it all makes sense.

Watching this movie helped me realize that I really enjoy seeing Bruce save the world. I get tired of watching him shoot things--there were a few scenes I fast-forwarded through--but generally, I dig him and the results he gets. If someone asked me, "OK, you and the rest of the world are going to need rescuing, so who do you want to do it: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis or Elijah Wood with prosthetic feet?" my answer would be, "Bruce Willis--no question!"

The Fifth Element
1997
Directed by Luc Besson
starring Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich and the guy who played Bilbo Baggins, except without the big hairy feet



*The movie also includes enough of Luke Perry to be intriguing--like the fantasies of an entire generation of young girls, the movie makes use of him, then discards him and moves on.

6 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I liked Fifth Element quite a bit too ... along with Bruce doing his usual ass-kicking, Chris Tucker hasn't been as funny since as he was as the oddly operatic sidekick

6:41 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

At least if it's not complete crap, it's crap you can get behind for one reason or another right BD? I think I'd deny Arnold or Frodo three times and have Bruce go for it if we needed world saving too. Glad you didn't hate it! I was really pleased Luke Perry was dispatched early on too.

9:21 AM  
Blogger spike said...

I also loved The Fifth Elelment, though Bruce Willis is one of those actors who makes me wish that he would just live a really reclusive private life and concentrate his energies on acting in interesting movies. Twelve Monkeys is one of my favorite movies. It was a remake of Chris Marker's amazing La Jetée. It's a treat to watch the two films together.

I am about the only person I know who actually liked Last Man Standing, which was a remake of High Plains Drifter, which was a remake of Yojimbo, and maybe I'm a softie that way but I haven't seen a Kurosawa film yet that didn't take my breath away. Now that I write this, I have to admit that Yojimbo was the best of the three and Last Man Standing was the weakest.

My IMDB page tells me that Willis was also one of the voices in Beavis and Butthead Do America -- Muddy Grimes? I don't remember the character. Did he save the world or anything?

4:55 AM  
Blogger SlayGirl said...

Yeah, of the three I'd have to go with Bruce too.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

You're not waiting for another recommendation are you? Have you ever seen Run Lola Run? I have the closing line they should have used in my head. Why they didn't pick my brain is beyond me.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Tumuli said...

This was a great film. Can't say Milla, Chris, or Bruce have exceeded this in the years since...

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home