Tuesday, July 11, 2006

God in a Test Tube

We here at G2S are pretty interested in spirituality, mysticism, transcendence--all that crap totally fascinates us. Which is why we were so intrigued by this article from the Independent UK announcing that " A universal mystical experience with life-changing effects can be produced by the hallucinogen contained in magic mushrooms."

According to the article,
For the US study, 30 middle-aged volunteers who had religious or spiritual interests attended two eight-hour drug sessions, two months apart, receiving psilocybin in one session and a non-hallucinogenic stimulant, Ritalin, in the other. They were not told which drug was which.

One third described the experience with psilocybin as the single most spiritually significant of their lifetimes and two thirds rated it among their five most meaningful experiences.

In more than 60 per cent of cases the experience qualified as a "full mystical experience" based on established psychological scales, the researchers say. Some likened it to the importance of the birth of their first child or the death of a parent.

The effects persisted for at least two months. Eighty per cent of the volunteers reported moderately or greatly increased well-being or life satisfaction. Relatives, friends and colleagues confirmed the changes.

Both SO and I have taken lots of drugs, though he has taken most of the drugs made by profit-driven, degenerate profligates with little regard for human life and sold by surly guys in dirty jeans with no last names, while I have taken most of the drugs made by profit-driven, degenerate profligates with little regard for human life and sold by surly guys in rumpled lab coats with name tags. I admit I've become even more of a pharmaceutical coward than I used to be: I've always preferred my drugs best when insurance pays for them and I can sue somebody if they don't do what they're supposed to, but I don't take them as readily as I used to--just because a doctor writes out a prescription doesn't mean I fill it.

Among the prescription drugs I've taken are plenty of psycho-active ones. Having had plenty of surgery, I've had plenty of morphine, and it does indeed do interesting things to your mind. And although I'm less willing than I used to be to swallow docilely and unqestioningly any pill some doctor getting kickbacks from a drug company wants to me and my insurance company to pay for, I am willing to make certain sacrifices in my quest for enlightenment. Believe me, if I ever hear about another round of this experiment, or a legalized version of the drug administered, I'll be first in line to try it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Saviour Onassis said...

Yes, it's true. I have done many, many drugs in my life and I can confirm that "shrooms" are probably the safest and most profoundly mystical hallucinogens around.

Many drugs, if offered, I would turn down in a heartbeat at this point. Having been there and done that over and again. But mushrooms are one that I would gobble up immediately. They are especially effective in a natural setting, like a hike in the mountains or a romp in a stream.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Of all the drugs I've loved before, I missed the shrooms somehow. Sign me up for the next round please.

Although your last two paragraphs made me feel pretty good. Must be the endolphins.

8:39 PM  
Blogger spike said...

I was unusual amongst my peers in that I did not really enjoy mushrooms. I did have one truly amazing experience -- the fact that it also involved driving a car and no injuries might suggest a higher power at work -- but every other time I tried them, the sensations of physical illness (queasiness and vomiting, backache) made the experience distinctly unpleasant.

I did like LSD, though I would not do it again. Nothing stronger than your best bitter for me now, thank you. Saviour Onassis is right about the natural setting: you feel very open to and connected to your surroundings, which is probably why people experience spirituality.

But -- the voice of sobriety interjects -- most cultures that value this sort of experimenting have rituals and helpers to assist the person who would open themselves to raw experience like this. We typically don't and I've seen, and experienced, some of the devastating consequences. (Aside: Syd Barrett has died.) So tread lightly, kids, and enter with extreme caution and much preparation!

4:25 AM  
Blogger Christopher Bigelow said...

I ate 'shrooms one time, in a Las Vegas hotel room. I mostly remember colorful psychedelic snowflakes floating around everywhere, and a constant bad taste in my mouth. No where near as all-consuming as the 10-12 times I took LSD.

During my two druggie years before my mission, my social group was not at all into spirituality or mysticism or anything profound. For us, drugs were simply Disneyland of the mind, with a focus on the entertainment value.

I do remember one scary trip, though, when people around me started turning into animals, and in my mind my Mormon upbringing was under assault to believe that humans are merely animals. I sincerely believe evil spirits were involved in this trip. I pulled out of it by smoking some pot and drinking some wine, which seemed to somehow dull or redirect the acid vibe.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Sage said...

Sign me up!

I did mushrooms years ago and have been contemplating doing them again - next time I have a weekend without kids - because my guy has never tried them. As far as I recall, it was a relaxed, mellow, giggly time where everything looked a bit different and much more interesting than usual.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home